Showing posts with label INTERNATIONAL. Show all posts
Showing posts with label INTERNATIONAL. Show all posts

Iran presents budget to counter ‘cruel’ US sanctions


TEHRAN: President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday unveiled Iran’s first annual budget since the return of US sanctions, saying it had been adjusted to take account of Washington’s cruel measures.
The president announced a 20 percent increase in public sector wages in a sign of the economic challenges the Islamic republic has faced since the United States pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal earlier this year.
The speech gave only a few general points of the budget — which will now be scrutinised and voted on by parliament — but acknowledged the pressure Iran was under.
“Last year we faced some problems,” Rouhani told parliament in a televised speech, referring to the widespread protests that hit the country almost exactly a year ago, sparked by anger over economic and political conditions.

“Those events caused the Americans to change their position regarding the Islamic republic and the nuclear deal,” he said.


“The real objective of the US in all of this conspiracy and sanction and pressure… is to bring the powerful Islamic republic of Iran to its knees,” he said, vowing that the US “will definitely be defeated.”
The renewed US sanctions include an embargo on Iran’s crucial oil sector.
The new budget did not say how many barrels of oil Iran hopes to sell in the next financial year, which starts in late March, but analysts believe it will be considerably less than the approximately 2.5 million it sold per day prior to Trump’s withdrawal.
The US granted waivers to eight key buyers of Iranian oil — including China, India and Turkey — though this has been a double-edged sword for Iran since it also helped push down the global price.
Share:

Three dead in suicide attack on Libyan foreign ministry


TRIPOLI: At least three people were killed when suicide bombers attacked Libya’s foreign ministry in Tripoli on Tuesday, the health ministry said, with a security source saying the assailants were suspected to be Islamic State (IS) militants.
Three attackers opened fire on the building before two of them managed to get inside and blow themselves up. The other was killed by ministry guards, the source said.
Heavy smoke rose from the building which was surrounded by security forces as people were rushed to hospital. The health ministry said nine people were wounded.
Suicide bombers have targeted a number of Libya’s vital institutions as militant groups take advantage of the chaotic political situation.
Share:

U.S.-led coalition reports recent air strikes on ISIS in Syria


WASHINGTON: The U.S.-led coalition in Syria conducted air strikes last week that destroyed facilities used by Islamic State, the coalition said on Tuesday, less than a week after President Donald Trump declared victory over the militant group and said he would withdraw U.S. troops from the war-torn country.
The coalition said its attacks during the week of Dec. 16-22, including air strikes and “coordinated fires,” had destroyed logistics facilities and staging areas used by Islamic State, damaged the group’s ability to finance its activities and “removed several hundred ISIS fighters from the battlefield.”
“ISIS presents a very real threat to the long-term stability in this region and our mission remains the same, the enduring defeat of ISIS,” said UK Major General Christopher Ghika, the deputy commander of the coalition.
ISIS is a commonly used acronym referring to Islamic State.
That statement presents a contrast to Trump’s declaration last week that U.S. troops had succeeded in their mission to defeat Islamic State and were no longer needed in the country.
News of the withdrawal drew immediate criticism from some of Trump’s fellow Republicans, who said that leaving would strengthen the hand of Russia and Iran, which both support Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
In response to Trump, Britain’s Foreign Office said last week that Islamic State remained a threat even though it held no territory.
The withdrawal may also leave exposed an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militants known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, or SDF, which has been among the most effective against Islamic State, but is now seen under threat as Turkey weighs a new offensive in Syria.
Share:

Trump says U.S. govt shutdown to last until agreement on border wall


WASHINGTON: U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday said the partial shutdown of the federal government was going to last until his demand for funds to build a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border is met.
The U.S. government partially shut down on Saturday, and there is not yet any sign of tangible efforts to reopen agencies closed by a political impasse over Trump’s demand for border wall funds.
 “I can’t tell you when the government is going to reopen,” Trump said, speaking after a Christmas Day video conference with U.S. troops serving abroad. “I can tell you it’s not going to reopen until we have a wall, a fence, whatever they’d like to call it. I’ll call it whatever they want, but it’s all the same thing. It’s a barrier from people pouring into the country, from drugs.”
He added: “If you don’t have that (the wall), then we’re just not opening.”
Funding for about a quarter of federal programs – including the departments of Homeland Security, Justice and Agriculture – expired at midnight on Friday. Without a deal to break the impasse, the shutdown is likely to stretch into the new year.
Building the wall was one of Trump’s most frequently repeated campaign promises, but Democrats are vehemently opposed to it.
Share:

Top US envoy in fight against IS group resigns: official


WASHINGTON: Brett McGurk, the special US envoy to the coalition fighting the Islamic State (IS) group, has resigned, a State Department official said Saturday.
His resignation, effective December 31, comes just after Donald Trump abruptly ordered the withdrawal of US troops from Syria as well as the announcement that Defense Secretary Jim Mattis was quitting, citing key disagreements with the US president.
Just last week McGurk, a Barack Obama appointee who Trump kept on, said “nobody is declaring a mission accomplished” in the battle against IS — just days before the president’s stunning announcement of victory against the jihadist movement.
Trump — who postponed his holiday vacation as failed budget talks triggered a partial US government shutdown — again on Saturday said “ISIS is largely defeated.”
“When I became President, ISIS was going wild,” the president tweeted. “Now ISIS is largely defeated and other local countries, including Turkey, should be able to easily take care of whatever remains. We’re coming home!”
McGurk reportedly said in his resignation letter that IS militants were in fact not defeated, and that prematurely withdrawing US troops could foster conditions allowing the militants to amass power in the region once more.
The 45 year-old top envoy was set to leave his position in February, but reportedly felt he could no longer continue in the job after Trump’s declaration.
The news capped a chaotic week that saw Mattis — seen as a voice of moderation in the mercurial Trump White House — quit after telling the president he could not go along with the Syria decision.
The shock troop pullout will leave thousands of Kurdish fighters — which the Pentagon spent years training and arming against IS — vulnerable to Turkish attack.
“I think anyone who’s looked at a conflict like this would agree with that.” McGurk had told journalists earlier this month.
Share:

Vienna shooting ‘linked to Balkan mafia’: police


VIENNA: A shooting which left one man dead and another seriously injured in central Vienna on Friday is thought to be linked to a Balkan mafia, police said in a statement Saturday.
“At the moment the crime looks as though it is connected to organised crime in the Western Balkans region,” the statement said.
The shooting, which happened at around 13:30 local time on Friday, briefly sparked panic in the historic centre of the Austrian capital, in an area popular with tourists.
The two victims, aged 32 and 23, were part of a group of three men who were shot at by another man shortly after they left a restaurant.
The shooter escaped on foot — not in a car as some eyewitnesses had reported — and has not yet been found.
Police described him as around 30 years old, 1.85m tall and wearing a dark jacket with the hood pulled up.
The shooting sparked a city-wide manhunt which is still underway, with police saying enquiries were also being made in other countries.
The 29-year-old man who accompanied the two victims, but who escaped unharmed, is being questioned as a witness.

Share:
...

It's all copy and paste.